Applications we use – our favorite tools (update 2020)
Already some months passed in 2020. It is time for an update of our “Applications we use – our favorite tools” blog series.
An overview about tools we like and use frequently (an update to our 2018 article and 2019 article).
These tools are a essential in our development and publication process and in spreading our ideas.
- Gitlab – offers a wide set of functionalities and allows us to store and maintain our code.
So we intensively use the issue tracker for planning our development tasks and maintaining our product backlog, usage of the CI/CD functionalities for our automated build, test and deployment into various stages
- TexturePacker – create optimized sprite sheets for your apps with this excellent tool
- Visual Studio Code – we changed our IDE to an offline editing
- Google Firebase – as development platform for our tools
- Pencil – we create our mock-ups with this graphical tool (new)
For creating our artwork, we sometimes use just pen and paper and then a scanner. But if we are digital, we have some favourite applications.
- Inkscape – most of our artwork is vector based. So our main and beloved tool for creating our graphics is Inkscape. Because in our opinion it is the best free and open source vector graphics editor
- XnView – is an easy and fast image viewer with a great batch tool features. Therefore we often use it to transform, resize or convert multiple images automatically
- Flashback Recorder – To capture screens and to edit them for a release on our Youtube channel
- Movavi Video Editor – for Mac – helps us to cut clips, tutorials and videos
- Aseprite – a very intuitive sprite and pixel art tool (new)
- Collage Maker – to create nice and creative collages, offers tons of templates and photo frames (new)
We are a distributed team and work most of the time remote. Therefore a good communication tool is a must.
- Slack – is our main communication platform. For this reason we use it to share ideas, to keep decisions and to message
- Whereby – we use Whereby’s easy to use video meetings frequently (new)
- Hubspot – our new CRM, contact center and emai marketing tool (new)
For different tasks our development and marketing often use this small web-based applications.
- TinyPNG – compressing images and be aware of the quality. This makes applications and websites smaller and faster
- Littera – creating text and font sheets for our apps. Upload your font and create image maps
- BeFunky Collage Maker – creating nice collages for our tweets and social media activities
- EZGIF.com – we create our animated GIFs with this little tool and do some video resizing
- Convert CSV – some CSVs need conversion? We use this online tool
- Deepl – our favorite translation tool for almost any correspondence (new)
There are many options and channels to market your app ideas. We mostly use the following:
- Twitter – follow us on twitter. Mainly tech things
- Facebook – we share our articles and blog posts there
- Instagram – find pictures of our marketing campaigns on Insta
- Pinterest – not used very often at the moment
- YouTube – we published already many videos and tutorials on YoutTube
- LinkedIn – find our business there
Applications we use
Our “Applications we use” blog series is updated once a year. We do not receive any compensation for adding an application or service to our list.
These are simply tools that we like to use often.