Applications we use – our favorite tools (update 2019)
We like to give you a short overview about some tools we like and use frequently (an update to our 2018 article). So these tools are a great help in the development of our applications and realize our ideas.
To develop our apps and our upcoming software tools for app developer and publishers like our App Store Localizer or our Release Notes Creator, we use a couple of development tools.
- Gitlab – offers a wide set of functionalities and allows us to store and maintain our code. So we intensively use the issue tracker for planning our development tasks and maintaining our product backlog.
- Cocoon – is an Apache Cordova based cloud service which is used to build apps out of HTML5 code. This is how we create our app releases for the App Store and the PlayStore.
- TexturePacker – the spritesheet help to optimize memory usage in games. Due to our developer create our app spritesheet with this excellent tool.
- Visual Studio Code – we changed our IDE to an offline editing (new)
- Google Firebase – as development platform for our tools (new)
For creating our artwork, we sometimes use just pen and paper and then a scanner. But if we are digital, we have some favourite applications.
- Inkscape – most of our artwork is vector based. So our main and beloved tool for creating our graphics is Inkscape. Because in our opinion it is the best free and open source vector graphics editor.
- XnView – is an easy and fast image viewer with a great batch tool features. Therefore we often use it to transform, resize or convert multiple images automatically.
- Flashback Recorder – to capture screens and to edit them for a release on our Youtube channel (new)
- Movavi Video Editor – for Mac – helps us to cut clips, tutorials and videos (new)
- Collage Maker – to create nice and creative collages, offers tons of templates and photo frames (new)
We are a distributed team and work most of the time remote. Therefore a good communication tool is a must.
- Slack – is our main communication platform. For this reason we use it to share ideas, to keep decisions and to message.
For different tasks our development and marketing often use this small web-based applications.
- TinyPNG – compressing images and be aware of the quality. This makes applications and websites smaller and faster.
- Littera – creating text and font sheets for our apps. Upload your font and create image maps.
- BeFunky Collage Maker – creating nice collages for our tweets and social media activities.
- EZGIF.com – we create our animated GIFs with this little tool and do some video resizing.
- Convert CSV – some CSVs need conversion? We use this online tool (new)
There are many options and channels to market your app ideas. We mostly use the following:
Feel free to follow us somewhere ? or give us your feedback about the tools you know and use and would recommend for us.
Other blog posts
- App Development (36)
- App Marketing (45)
- App Store Optimization (50)
- I WANT AN ELEPHANT (16)